The Zappiti Player 4K is not able to format HDD itself. On the other hand, beyond 2.5TB HDDs can sometimes be poorly recognized if they are not properly formatted in NTFS / GPT partition. Indeed, beyond 2TB, HDDs recognition by Windows is different than smaller capacity. 2.5TB HDDs and beyond no longer use the classic partitioning mode "MBR" but they are using "GPT" (Guid Partition Table). MBR partitions are limited to 2TB. You can create multiple 2 TB partitions but it is better to use a single big partition.
Case 1: you don't yet purchased a hard drive
Given the complexity of the formatting process and the many pre-requisites, we strongly recommend you to purchase a pre-formatted hard drive you can find in some computer dealers or directly on the Zappiti Store.
Case 2: you already have purchased an unformatted HDD
Pre-requisites to format your hard drive:
- A docking station for hard drives (docking station) last generation compatible with the UASP transfer protocol USB 3.0.
- A computer with a USB 3.0 port.
- Windows 8 Minimum or Mac OS X Yosemite Minimum.
- Processor and operating system 64-bit.
Warning! The computer age (UEFI BIOS) can cause compatibility limitations.
Note: You can also connect SATA hard disk of a rack instead of the dock if your computer is equipped or directly connect a SATA hard drive to the inside of the tower.
How to format an HDD in NTFS (Windows procedure)
1. Connect your hard drive dock to a USB 3.0 port on your computer.
2. On the desktop of your computer, right-click the "This PC" icon and then click the "Manage" option.
3. In the Computer Management window, click "Disk Management".
4. Right click on the disk you want to format then click the "Format" option.
5. Select the option GPT. Then click on OK.
6. Then click on the following button several times until you reach the following screen:
Before you click Next, select the following options:
- File System: NTFS.
- Size of Allocation Unit: 64 KB.
- Enter a hard disk name in "Volume Name" .
- Select the Perform one Format.Then click on next.
7. Wait until the end of the procedure, then make sure that your hard disk is formatted correctly in NTFS.
8. Your hard drive is now ready to use. Remove the hard drive from the docking station and insert it into your Zappiti One 4K HDR or Zappiti Duo 4K HDR or connect it to your Zappiti Mini 4K HDR using the supplied SATA cable. If it is an external hard drive, connect it to your Zappiti player.
Problem: 746.49 GB recognized only.
Solution 1: The problem can be solved by plugging the hard drive into the tower of a PC and not in a USB enclosure.
Solution 2: The problem can be solved by using gparted and creating NTFS from this software on hiren's boot CD.
Solution 3: For its high capacity drives, Western Digital uses "Advanced Format Table". Please install a recent sata driver (iatacd) for full support of this kind of discs.
Solution 4: The Intel computer processors are using Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) for high capacity drives (4k sector disks). Intel deliver a specific procedure (click here to follow the procedure...). Follow the procedure and restart.
Solution 5: Western Digital provides a formatting utility specifically designed for hard drives: "Advanced Format Hard Drive Download Utility".
Solution 6: If your hard drive is equipped with "jumpers", place a jumper on pins 5-6 to activate the OPT1 mode and allow speeds of 1.5 Gb / s.
To know if your HDD is mounted (reconnized) on the Zappiti player, you can check the USB icon on the main menu: